Caravan Advice

A comprehensive guide to everything caravanning whether you are a novice or expert.


Find out about the latest caravan products, accessories and spares, and how to select the best at


UK passport holders must carry their passport when travelling in Europe for identification and entry purposes.


Specific information on visa requirements and passport validity can be obtained from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.

Motor Insurance

When visiting EU Countries a Green Card is not necessary as UK certificates of motor insurance are accepted as evidence that the compulsory motor insurance is in force.


However, advise your insurance company of the countries you are visiting and obtain their confirmation that your policy extends to include these countries.


Ensure you carry the original insurance certificate with you.

Driving Licence

Full licences issued in the UK are legal to use abroad, however only driving licences issued after 1991 are compliant with the EU format.  If your licence was issued prior to 1991 it is recommended that you change if for a new photo-card licence or take an International Driving Permit with you.

Vehicle Registration Document

Your original Vehicle Registration Document V5C (Log Book) must be carried with you at all times.


If you do not own the vehicle you should carry a letter of authorisation.

MOT Certificate

Applies to vehicles over 3 years old and you must carry the original with you.

Vehicle Tax Disc

It is necessary to display a current UK vehicle excise licence (tax disc).

Camping Card International

This is a document accepted at most campsites in leiu of a passport and also provides third party personal liability insurance.  It is essential in Portugal & Austria.


It is recommended that you obtain an EHIC Card when visiting EU Countries.


For current information on vaccination and health requirements visit NaTHNaC.

Pets Abroad

Since April 2000 it's possible for dogs and cats to travel to and from mainland Europe, for further information visit DEFRA.

Join the Club for FREE

To join the European Caravan Club and to keep up to date on all the latest offers, please complete the form on the

Contact Us page.


ECC members can get up to 15% discount on selected caravan insurance click UK Touring Caravan Insurance or UK Static Caravan Insurance or Park Home / Leisure Home


For the latest news articles click here


Cookie Policy

For our cookie policy click here

You have installed an adblocker. This Web App can only be displayed and edited correctly when the adblocker is disabled.